Ingredients to Avoid in Skincare
Aka Da Bad Guy List
We’ve taken the guesswork out of identifying those common criminals for you. Feel free to use this list while out shopping or share with family and friends. This compiled list to make our consumers aware of any associated health risks with purchasing products that are so called “deemed safe”. Be on the look out!
- Prefixes Ethyl, Methyl, Butyl or Propyl: Parabens Risks: Endocrine disrupters; linked to weight gain and breast cancer
- Fragrance/Parfum, DEHP, DHP, DBP 5, Dibutyl Phthalate: Phthalates Risks: Infertility; headaches, dizziness, asthma, and allergies
- Dyes or Color: Blue 1, Green 3, Yellow 5 & 6, Red 33: Coal tar Risks: Carcinogenic
- Triclosan, Chloro, Phenol, Irgasan: Triclosan Health Risks: Endocrine & thyroid disrupter; antibiotic-resistant bacteria, 3-(4-methylbenzylidene)-camphor (4-MBC), octyl-methoxycinnamate (OMC), octyl-dimethyl-PABA (OD-PABA), bexophenome-3 (Bp-3), homosalate (HMS): Sunscreen chemicals Risks: Enhances insecticides to penetrate the skin
- Polyethylene glycol (PEG, PPG, Cocoate), propylene glycol, polyoxyethylene, polyethoxyethylene, polyethoxyethylene mineral oil, Petrolatum: Byproduct of petroleum; in baby oil, moisturizers, styling gels. Risks: Carcinogen; liver and kidney effects, Can disrupt the Endocrine system; carcinogen; It creates a film that impairs the skin’s ability to release toxins.
- Lead acetate, thimerosal, mercurius solubilis, mercurius sublimates, mercurius corrosives, mercuric chloride: Lead and mercury Risks: Found in higher levels in women with breast cancer; neurotoxin
- Isobutene: Propellant made from petroleum processing Health Risks: Carcinogen
- Hydroquinone Risks: Can cause a skin disease (ochronosis)
- Nano zinc oxide: Nanoparticles Risks: The safety of nanoparticles has not been tested, but they can cross the blood/brain barrier and move along nerves.
- Sodium lauryl (ether) sulfate (SLS, SLES): A former industrial degreaser now used to make soap foamy, Risks: Skin Irritant
Cited: EWG Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences, The Endocrine Disruption Exchange, Cosmetic, Toiletry & Perfumery Association (CTPA) UK industry